Monday, August 15, 2016

Birth planning, nesting, getting huge

Happy feast of the Assumption! I went to Mass and then Starbucks to celebrate :) (Or if you're not Catholic, happy Monday!) Ready to hear about what's been happening around these parts recently?

Firstly, we are OBSESSED with the Olympics! Are you? Aren't they the best thing ever? I'm not even a huge sports fan in general (me usually: "Go team! Beat the other team! Kick/throw/beat/hit/etc. the ball/puck/whatever"). For example, I get suuuuper annoyed when people wear Broncos athletic wear to Mass slash not during the actual game. I digress. The Olympics are literally on all the time - right now, it's women's field hockey! so random! i love it! - and I am a happy camper :) Lewis usually ends up re-watching the highlights at night. Thankfully for him, swimming is almost over so we can move on to other, more obscure sports. The exception to our Olympic marathons (pun intended! haha!) is that we started Stranger Things last weekend. Have you watched it?? If not, DO IT. Pause the Olympics and do yourself a favor. It is awesome! I'm dying to Google all of the actors and backstory and whether there's going to be more seasons, but I'm waiting until we're done because I just KNOW I'll inadvertently see some spoiler and be ultra annoyed. TV is big in this house these days.

Which may or may not have something to do with the fact that I feel HUGE. Whale-ish. I have to roll myself out of bed. I'm starting to waddle. What the what. Pregnancy is so weird! In the second trimester, pregnancy was somewhat how I imagined it (aka, cool to feel this person moving in a little cute bump and hungry all of the time). We are now firmly entrenched in the third trimester. I'm 32 weeks today. What does this mean? How much longer do I have? See helpful chart below...


I should have made business card-sized cards of these to pass out to confused people who ask how far along I am. But BASICALLY, no doctor lets you go past 42 weeks, and most babies arrive sometime between 37-41ish weeks. So I'm not "about to pop" as the not-so-helpful saleslady at Jos A. Bank commented, but am 100% unavoidably pregnant (guy at the car repair shop: "So, you have a little one on the way?" me: "Well, I didn't just have a big lunch." << true conversation). Of course, baby could arrive whenever he pleases but let's hope someone keeps cooking for a few more weeks 

BECAUSE we are totally not ready yet and I am nesting hard-core. Well, I'm sure we could be ready if all of the sudden I were to go in labor or something (mostly because I know my momma would be on the first plane down here and would organize/prepare her little heart out! Thank goodness for supportive parents). Thanks to the generosity of many wonderful friends and family, we do in fact have most of the basics, like a car seat, crib + sheets, bassinet (with sheets on the way thanks to a crafty grandmother!), clothes in a wide variety of sizes to accommodate a child anywhere in the 6-20lb. range LOL, blankets, toys, nursing stuff, and the best most amazing piece of furniture - a glider. 

But we have zero diapers or wipes or any soaps/lotions/creams or basically anything helpful in capturing and disposing of this baby's waste (changing pad, waterproof covers, etc). Pretty sure my subconscious is well aware of this because last night I had a dream about diapering. I had only seen him once (?!?!) that day and was wondering what he was up to (chilling with my parents) so went to go find him to discover he needed a huge diaper change. Long story short, poop was everywhere and I was trying to change him in the middle of the night without waking Lewis up. I woke up thinking two things: 1. Should I buy a small lamp for the dresser so I can see what I'm doing for a middle-of-the-night diaper change? How do people change diapers in the dark? Am I the only one wondering about this? Mamas with babies, lend me your wisdom! 2. We need to buy diapers/wipes/aquaphor STAT. 

I should also probably start gathering things for a hospital bag. The internet is both extremely helpful and unhelpful. Examples of helpful advice: bring bright colored warm socks and a change of clothes that fit at 6 months pregnant to wear home. Unhelpful advice: "you're going to be a leaking sack of blood so have a plan for not dribbling all over the place. Also, good luck with your first poo" (So, do I need adult diapers? Will buy stool softener I guess? Apparently post-labor = 85 years old.) Isn't this the type of interesting pregnancy information you came here to read about??? ;) You're welcome.

But seriously, if you have given birth in a hospital, was there something you were SO glad you brought or realized after that you totally didn't need?? I'm planning on bringing stuff to breastfeed (including clothes) and my kindle and cellphone. Since the birth plan is a hospital birth, I'm assuming I could show up with not very much stuff and they'll help me out? 

Speaking of the birth plan, that's an entire OTHER kettle of fish. Again, and as with virtually everything, the internet has been both helpful and unhelpful. In case you don't carefully follow "birth" "parenthood" or "opinions about your parenting choice" on the interwebs, here's the gist of things: Everything you do is wrong, not X enough, way too X, and someone somewhere strongly disagrees with your choices. SO, instead of googling "natural birth v. drugs," I'm somewhat soliciting actual personal stories from people I know and like about how she gave birth, what worked, etc. 

My research is boiling down to a few things: 
1. If you have had a natural birth, you are VERY proud of yourself as you totally should be and deserve to. I'm not saying this sarcastically. I am actually IMPRESSED with these women and they deserve every pat on the back. Just describing "dilation" to Lewis makes his face do funny things, so needless to say, we are both in awe of a drug-free birth, whether it's in a hospital or elsewhere.

2. Some people who have had drug-free/natural births can be holier-than-thou. This is annoying. 

3. Natural birthing sounds insane and awesome. I think I would like to have this? I don't know. I definitely do not feel like I must have a natural birth. If it happens that I have a natural birth, I'm sure it will be the hardest and most satisfying thing I've ever done (passing the bar being a close second lolol jk). But I'm also hesitant to make things harder for myself than it has to be. At my core, I am a 100% pragmatist. So, do I need all of that pain to be proud of myself for bringing a human into the world? I don't know. I guess I should figure this out before we come barreling into labor & delivery. 

4. An epidural, when it works, sounds Ah-Mazing. Or, it sounds totally worth it and the best and less traumatic. Additionally, it sounds like it has the potential to take away a lot of the emotional investment in birth since you aren't ramping yourself up mentally for the agony and instead, can be more, "Yay, we're having a baby today!" On the other hand, there are stories of people who come away more traumatized from wanting an epidural and then having it not work at all/mess up/stop working or some other version of this. ALSO that giant needle is apparently a little intimidating, although I don't have any issues with needles/blood/bodily fluids/medical interventions in general. So I'm less worried about that part. 

5. Probably my birth plan is something like this: Labor as long as I can without drugs. Get drugs if I want them. Have a baby. Both of us live to tell the tale. 

Other things on the to-do list before our lives change forever (as if we can go back now! ha!)... 

pick a name (we still haven't decided) 
pick godparents (we think we've decided) 
buy a lot more stuff (thank goodness for gift cards!!) 
get a pedicure

To round it all off, here are totally unrelated summer highlights! :)











No comments:

Post a Comment